This user has not added any information to their profile yet.
In advance of joining AIT as Lecturer in 2012, Dr. Murray spent almost a decade working in the software development in roles such as software testing, design, development, technical architect and consultant in industries such as Telecommunications Network Management (Ericsson), Billing (Martin Dawes Systems), Payment Processing (Sentenial) and E-learning (Houghton Harcourt Mifflin).
Niall is the founder and Principal Investigator (PI) in the truly immersive and Interactive Multimedia Expericence (tIIMEx) research group in AIT. He is an Associate PI on the Enterprise Ireland funded Technology Gateway COMAND in the Software Research Institute (SRI) in AIT.
Dr. Murray is a Funded Investigator with CONFIRM.
• PhD in Computer Science, Athlone Institute of Technology
Thesis title: “Quality of Experience Derived Olfication-enhanced Multimedia Synchronisation”
• MEng in Computer and Communication Systems, University of Limerick
• BEng Electronic and Computer Engineering, National University of Ireland, Galway
• Member of the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers
• Member of the Association for Computing Machinery
• Member of the management committee of the EU COST ACTION Wearable Robots (CA 16116)
• Social media editor of the SIGMM (Special Interest Group in Multimedia)
• Augmented reality
• Virtual Reality
• Quality of Experiences (QoE)
• Development and delivery of immersive multimedia experiences to industry
Niall spent almost a decade working across a variety of software development roles (test, design, developer and technical architect) in telecommunications, payment processing and e-learning industries.
In these contexts, some of the ongoing research projects Niall works on are in the fields of Health, Education and Tourism
• Quality of Experience
• Immersive Multimedia Experiences (AR, VR)
• Multisensory Multimedia
• Physiological Signal Processing
• Wearable Sensor systems
• Augmented Reality, Virtual Reality and wearable sensor systems in Smart Manufacturing - Industry 4.0
Olfaction-Enhanced Multimedia: A Survey Application Domains, Displays and Research Challenges" Niall Murray, Brian Lee, Yuansong Qiao, Gabriel-Miro Muntean. In ACM Computing Surveys 48:4, article 56, 2016, DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1145/2816454. Comparing user QoE of AR and VR applications using physiological and interaction measurements" Conor Keighrey, Ronan Flynn, Siobhan Murray, Sean Brennan and Niall Murray. In 25th ACM International Conference on Multimedia (ACM MM 2017) "A QoE Evaluation of Immersive Augmented and Virtual Reality Speech & Language Assessment Applications" Conor Keighrey, Ronan Flynn, Siobhan Murray and Niall Murray. Best Student Paper Award In 9th International Conference on Quality of Multimedia Experience (QoMEX 2017) June 2017, in Erfurt, Germany. An evaluation of Heart Rate and Electrodermal Activity as an Objective QoE Evaluation method for Immersive Virtual Reality Environments". Darragh Egan, Sean Brennan, John Barrett, Yuansong Qiao, Christian Timmerer and Niall Murray. In 8th International Conference on Quality of Multimedia Experience (QoMEX 2016) June 2016,