The Institute of Technology Tralee in partnership with Science Foundation Ireland, CONFIRM Smart Manufacturing Research Centre and an industry consortium of Tier 1 AgriTech companies across the south west, west and mid-west regions, are recruiting funded Masters and Ph.D. research positions in the areas of Engineering and Computer Science.
The Intelligent Mechatronics and RFID Research Centre (IMaR) at the Institute of Technology Tralee, is a world- class research centre in the area of Intelligent Mechatronics and Radio-frequency identification (RFID). A principal theme of the IMaR Research Centre is the synergy between mechatronics and RFID for industrial applications in the highly technological manufacturing industry driven by new technology, innovation and global demand. The overall mission of IMaR is to be industries partner of choice for the provision of innovative applied research. IMaR serves a cross section of industries including Automotive, Heavy Engineering, Telecommunications, Pharmaceutical, Production / Manufacturing, Aeronautical, Environmental, Healthcare and Agri-business.
IMaR is core funded by Enterprise Ireland and is a member of CONFIRM – Smart Manufacturing Research Centre. CONFIRM is a world-leading SFI research centre in Smart Manufacturing hosted by the University of Limerick. CONFIRM’s mission is to transform industry to become leaders in Smart Manufacturing. Smart Manufacturing is the process of fusing intelligence to the production process to improve manufacturing performance via automation and data analytics. CONFIRM has expertise across Industry 4.0 Smart Manufacturing ecosystem and works to identify business needs in partnership with industry and then selects the right research team to help to solve business challenges.
We are looking for highly motivated Masters and Ph.D. candidates to work on an SFI-CONFIRM co-funded project in collaboration with Tier 1 AgriTech Industry Partners. The successful candidates will collaboratively work in the areas of Autonomous Systems, Sensor Development, IoT, Machine Learning/AI and Virtual/Augmented Reality.
This is an exciting project in a fast-moving, industrially relevant area. Reporting to the supervisor (and co—supervisors as applicable), successful candidates will work as part of a collaborative research group, but take a hands-on role, with responsibility for the day-to-day execution of the technical research tasks. Scientific dissemination (preparation of regular internal reports, journal and conference publications, and industrial liaison) is an integral part of the position. It is critical that a candidate has an ability to work in a team environment, as he/she will liaise closely with other consortium members engaged in developing complementary aspects of the platform.
In return, the position provides the opportunity to develop innovative solutions for engineering challenges related to AgriTech, as well as to gain valuable experience in design, development and testing of next-generation smart systems. The successful candidates will experience the excitement of working with high-profile industry on emerging technologies, and will have the opportunity to build the career profile associated with presentation at international conferences, workshops and industry meetings, and publication of the research in high impact journals.
Each studentship will offer the opportunity for you to:
- Complete a cutting edge research project
- Publish in leading journals and present at top international conferences
- Develop translational skills, e.g. project management, communication & dissemination and entrepreneurial skills
- Connect with our network of industry and academic partners
These are fulltime postgraduate student opportunities, with successful candidates initially registering as a Masters student and optionally applying to transfer to a Ph.D. program subject to a review process at approximately 12 months.
- Relevant Honours level Engineering / Computing/ Science degree or similar.
The ideal candidate will be able to demonstrate:
- Fluent in spoken and written English
- Excellent communication skills
- Excellent writing and presentation skills
- Flexibility and ability to work in a team environment
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Good organisational and team-working skills
- Strong object-oriented design and coding skills
- Keen interest in working on industry relevant research and gaining transferable skills
- An ability to work independently to a tight schedule to deliver milestones and deliverables
- An ability to identify, evaluate and work with emerging technologies
- A demonstrated capability in the delivery of research projects at undergraduate or postgraduate level
- Prior experience of working with/in industry, scientific paper writing, conference presentation and report writing is an advantage
- Development experience with Virtual and Augmented Reality is an advantage
- Experience with eLearning and Digital Training is an advantage
- Knowledge and experience of machine learning techniques is an advantage
- Development experience with 2D / 3D platforms and engines / tools is desirable
- Experience with sensors and data analytics is desirable
- An interest in AgriTech and Smart Manufacturing industry is desirable
The ideal candidate will also possess the following attributes:
- Self-motivated and able to work on own initiative, with excellent organisational and personal management skills
- Professional and mature attitude to work with energy, drive and enthusiasm – to be a proactive member of the team
- Energetic and eager to learn and implement new technologies when required
- Focused on keeping your knowledge up to date
Duration of Contract
An annual student stipend applies for successful candidates for this position.
Applications for these roles can be made by sending a cover letter (outlining your experience and interest in the role) and CV to both:
Dr. Katie Crowley, email: [email protected]
Prof. Joseph Walsh, email: [email protected]