This user has not added any information to their profile yet.
Athlone Institute of Technology
Site lead for Confirm Centre for Smart Manufacturing
Development of polymer based smart manufacturing test beds and pilot lines
Manage a large group of researchers working in diverse fields of polymer and materials research.
Develop new research programmes from concept to preparing funding applications
PhD Polymer Engineering, 2006, Athlone Insitute of Technology
Bachelor of Engineering in Polymer Engineering (Honours), 2000, Athlone Insitute of Technology
National Diploma in Plastics Engineering, 1998, Athlone Insitute of Technology
National Certificate in Plastics Engineering, 1997, Athlone Insitute of Technology
Introduction to Clinical Investigations of Medical Devices for Human Subjects – Good Clinical Practice ISO 14155:2011. 2015, Certificate of Attendance, Molecular Medicine Ireland.
Component Certificate in Business Planning, Level 6, 2010, Further Education and Training Awards Council (FETAC), Ireland.
Certificate in Innovation Management, 2007, Institute for leadership & Management, Ireland.
Certificate in Project Management, Level 6, 2006, FETAC, Ireland.
Certificate in Occupational Health & Safety, 2004, National Irish Safety Organisation, Ireland.
Training Certificate in Entrepreneurial Development, 2003, West of Ireland Business Innovation Centre.
Member of Society of Plastic Engineers 2015 – Present.
Active member of the Orthopaedic Research Society (ORS). 2008-2015. ORS membership # 00232051.
Member of American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS). 2012-2013. AAAS Member # 20318219
Member of Marie Curie Alumni Association. 2012 - Present
Member of Mayo Clinic Alumni Association. 2014 - Present
Polymer processing: injection moulding, extrusion, compounding, 3D printing
Characterisation: thermal, chemical and physical analysis
A. Kumar, PC. Foller, D. Park, D. Devine, C.W.M. Bastiaansen, JP. Teunissen, M. Cloonan, CL. Higginbotham. Oriented Polymeric Sheets Exhibiting Dichroism and Articles Containing the same. US Patent 20,150,274,910.
IP assigned to Transitions Optical Ltd.
Devine DM, Higginbotham CL. Bone Replacement Material. International Patent Application No. PCT/EP2015/052993
Bone Tissue engineering
Bioactive material development
Controlled release of Active pharmaceutical ingredients
Cytocompatibility testing of novel constructs
- DM Devine, CL Higginbotham. The Synthesis of a Physically Crosslinked NVP Based hydrogel. Polymer, 44, 2003, 7851- 7860. *IF = 2.34
* 2. DM Devine, CL Higginbotham. The Synthesis and Characterization of Chemically Crosslinked N-VinylPyrrolidinone Based Hydrogels. Europ Polym J, 41 (6), 2005, 1272-1279. *IF = 1.765
* 3. DM Devine, LM Geever, CL Higginbotham. Drug Release from N-Vinyl pyrrolidinone / Acrylic Acid lubricious coatings. J Mater Sci, 40 (13), 2005, 3429-3436. *IF = 0.901
- LM Geever, DM Devine, MJD Nugent, JE Kennedy, JG Lyons, CL Higginbotham. The synthesis, characterisation, phase behaviour and swelling of temperature sensitive physically crosslinked poly(1-vinyl-2-pyrrolidinone)/poly(N-isopropylacrylamide) hydrogels. Europ Polym J, 42, (1), 2006, 69-80. *IF = 0.829
- LM Geever, DM Devine, MJD Nugent, JE Kennedy, JG Lyons, A Hanley, CL Higginbotham. Lower critical solution temperature control and swelling behaviour of physically crosslinked thermosensitive copolymers based on N-isopropylacrylamide. Europ Polym J, 42, (10), 2006, 2540-48. *IF = 0.829
- JG Lyons, DM Devine, JE Kennedy, LM Geever, P O'Sullivan, CL Higginbotham. The use of Agar as a novel filler for monolithic matrices produced using hot melt extrusion. Europ J Pharma Biopharma, 64, 2006, 75-81. *IF = 0.829
* 7. DM Devine, S Devery, LM Geever, JG Lyons, JE Kennedy, CL Higginbotham. Multifunctional polyvinylpyrrolidinone-polyacrylic acid copolymer hydrogels for biomedical applications. Internat J Pharma, 326, 2006, 50-9. *IF = 2.212
- JG Lyons, M Hallinan, JE Kennedy, DM Devine, LM Geever, P Blackie, CL Higginbotham. Preparation of monolithic matrices for oral drug delivery using a supercritical fluid assisted hot melt extrusion process. Internat J Pharma, 329, 2007, 62-71. *IF = 3.061
- LM Geever, CM Mínguez, DM Devine, MJD Nugent, JE Kennedy, JG Lyons, A Hanley, S Devery, PT Tomkins, CL Higginbotham. The synthesis, swelling behaviour and rheological properties of chemically crosslinked thermosensitive copolymers based on N-isopropylacrylamide. J Mater Sci, 42, 2007, 4136-48. *IF = 1.081
- JG Lyons, H Holehonnur, DM Devine, JE Kennedy, LM Geever, P Blackie, CL Higginbotham. The incorporation of an organically modified layered silicate in monolithic polymeric matrices produced using hot melt extrusion. Mater Chem Phys,103, 2007, 419-26. *IF = 1.871
- LM Geever, CC Cooney, DM Devine, SM Devery, MJD Nugent, CL Higginbotham. Negative temperature sensitive hydrogels in controlled drug delivery. Macromolecular Symposia, 266 (1), 2008, 53-58. *IF = 0.913
- JE Kennedy, DM Devine, JG Lyons, LM Geever, CL Higginbotham. The synthesis and characterisation of grafted random styrene butadiene for biomedical applications. J Mater Sci, 44, 2009, 889-896. *IF = 1.471
* 13. DM Devine, M Leitner, SM Perren, LP Bouré, SG Pearce. Tissue reaction to implants of different metals: a study using guide wires in cannulated screws. Eur Cells Mat. 18: 2009, 40-8. *IF = 5.378
- JA. Killion, LM. Geever, DM. Devine, JE. Kennedy, CL. Higginbotham. Mechanical properties and thermal behaviour of PEGDMA hydrogels for potential bone regeneration application. J Mech Behav Biomed Mater. 4(7), 2011, 1219-27. *IF = 2.814.
- JA. Killion, LM. Geever, DM. Devine, L. Grehan, JE. Kennedy, CL. Higginbotham. Modulating the mechanical properties of photopolymerised polyethylene glycol–polypropylene glycol hydrogels for bone regeneration. J Mat Sci. 47(18), 2012, 6577-85. IF = 2.015.
* 16. DM. Devine, J. Hahn, RG. Richards, H. Gruner, R. Wieling, SG. Pearce. Coating of carbon fiber-reinforced polyetheretherketone implants with titanium to improve bone apposition. J Biomed Mater Res B Appl Biomater. 101(4), 2013, 591-8. IF = 2.308
- E., Hoctor, J., Killion, D Devine, L., Geever, C., Higginbotham. The Preparation of Nanocomposite Scaffolds For Use In Bone Tissue Engineering. Australian J Basic Applied Sci, 7(5), 2013, 140-149
- J.A., Killion, S., Kehoe, L.M., Geever, D.M., Devine, E., Sheehan, D., Boyd, C.L., Higginbotham. Hydrogel/bioactive glass composites for bone regeneration applications: synthesis and characterisation. Mat. Sci & Eng. C, 33(7), 2013, 4203-12. IF = 2.404.
- E., Kenny, D., Devine, C., Higginbotham, L., Geever. Processing and Characterisation of Various Polymer Blends to Develop Implant for Tissue Engineering Applications. Journal of Asian Scientific Research 3(6), 2013, 654-669.
- Z. Cao, M. Peyregne, M. Daly, T. Mullen, D.M. Devine, L.M. Geever, C.L. Higginbotham. Effect of chemical treatments and HDPE-g-MA on the physical and mechanical behaviour of hdpe/natural fibre composites. Australian J Basic Applied Sci, 7(5), 2013,128-139
- J. Killion, L. Geever, D. Devine, J., Kennedy, C., Higginbotham. Development of Synthetic Alternatives For Bone Tissue Engineering. Australian J Basic Applied Sci, 7(5), 2913, 150-156
- J.A. Killion, L.M. Geever, D.M. Devine, C.L. Higginbotham. Fabrication and in vitro biological evaluation of photopolymerisable hydroxyapatite hydrogel composites for bone regeneration. J Biomat Appl, 28(8), 2014, 1274-83. IF = 2.64
- Y. Chen, L.M. Geever, C.L. Higginbotham, DM. Devine. Analysis of the Mechanical Properties of Solvent Cast Blends of PLA/PCL. Applied Mechanics Mater. 679, 2014, 50-56.
- E. Kenny, D.M. Devine, C.L. Higginbotham, L.M. Geever. Melt processed polymer blends for potential regenerative medicine applications. Applied Mechanics Mater. 679, 2014, 92-100.
- J.A. Killion, L.M. Geever, D.M. Devine, H. Farrell, C.L. Higginbotham. Compressive strength and bioactivity properties of photopolymerisable hybrid composite hydrogels for bone tissue engineering. Internat J Polym Mat Polym Biomat, 63(13), 2014, 641-50. IF = 1.865
- L., Grehan, J.A., Killion, D.M. Devine, E.K., Kenny, S., Devery, C.L., Higginbotham, L.M., Geever. The Development of Hot Melt Extruded Biocompatible Controlled Release Drug Delivery Devices. Internat J Polymeric Mat Polymeric Biomat, 63, 2014, 476-485. IF = 1.865
- C.J.D. Bergmann, J.C.E. Odekerken, T.J.M. Welting, F. Jungwirth, D. Devine, L. Bouré, S. Zeiter, L.W. Van Rhijn, R. Telle, H. Fischer, P.J. Emans. Calcium phosphate based three-dimensional cold plotted bone scaffolds for critical size bone defects. BioMed Res Intern. Vol. 2014, Article ID 852610. IF = 2.88.
- J.L. Lansdowne, D. Devine, U. Eberli, P.J. Emans, T.J.M. Welting, J.C.E. Odekerken, D. Schiuma, M. Thalhauser, L. Bouré, S. Zeiter, 2014. Characterization of an ovine bilateral critical sized bone defect iliac wing model to examine treatment modalities based on bone tissue engineering. BioMed Res Intern. Vol. 2014, Article ID 250958. IF = 2.88.
- J.A., Killion, L.M., Geever, L. Grehan, C. Waldron, K. Offaly, J. Lyons, D.M., Devine, M. Cloonan, C.L., Higginbotham, 2014. Synthesis and photopolymerisation of maleic polyvinyl alcohol based hydrogels for bone tissue engineering. J Polym Res, 21, 1-12. IF = 2.88.
* 30. D.M. Devine, D. Arens, M Thalhauser, D. Schiuma, S. Zeiter, D. Nehrbass. Healing pattern of reamed bone following bone harvesting by a RIA device. Eur Cell Mater, 29, 2015, 97-104. IF = 4.887.
- G.G. de Lima, L. Campos, A. Junqueira, D.M. Devine, M.J.D. Nugent. A novel pH-sensitive ceramic-hydrogel for biomedical applications, Polym Adv Tech. 26(12), 2015, 1439-46. IF = 1.964.
* 32. YY Chen, L.M. Geever, J.A. Killion, J.G. Lyons, C.L. Higginbotham, D.M. Devine. Halloysite nanotube reinforced polylactic acid composite. Polym Comp. Early view available on line. DOI: 10.1002/pc.23794. 2016, IF = 2.004.
* 33. M Canillas, GG de Lima, MA Rodríguez, MJD Nugent, DM Devine. Bioactive composites fabricated by freezing-thawing method for bone regeneration applications. J Polym Sci Part B: Polym Phys. 54(7), 2016, 761-773. IF = 3.83.
- EK Kenny, NM Gately, JA Killion, D.M. Devine, CL Higginbotham, LM Geever. Melt Extruded Bioresorbable Polymer Composites for Potential Regenerative Medicine Applications. Polymer-Plastics Technology and Engineering, 55(4):
, 2016, 432-446. IF 1.481.
* 35. YY Chen, LM Geever, JA Killion, JG Lyons, CL Higginbotham, DM Devine. A Review of Multifarious Applications of Poly (Lactic Acid). Polymer-Plastics Tech Eng. 55(10), 2016, 1057–1075. IF = 1.481.
- GG de Lima, RO de Souza, AD Bozzi, MA Poplawska, DM Devine, MJ Nugent. Extraction Method Plays Critical Role in Antibacterial Activity of Propolis-Loaded Hydrogels. J Pharm Sci, 105(3), 2016, 1248-57. IF = 2.641.
* 37. Z Cao, M Daly, LM Geever, I Major, CL. Higginbotham, DM Devine, 2016. Synthesis and characterization of high density polyethylene / peat ash composites. Composites Part B, 94: 312-21. IF = 3.875.
* 38. Z Cao, M Daly, L Clémence, LM Geever, I Major, CL. Higginbotham, DM Devine, 2016. Chemical Surface Modification of Calcium Carbonate Particles with stearic acid using different treating methods. Applied Surface Science, 378:320-329. IF = 3.15.
*39. GG. de Lima, F Traon, E Moal, M Canillas, MA. Rodriguez, N Dunne, DM. Devine, MJD Nugent, 2017. Composite cryogels for dual drug delivery and enhanced mechanical properties. Polymer Composites, early view available online, DOI: 10.1002/pc.24450. IF = 2.324
* 40. Declan M. Devine, Eilish Hoctor, Jessica S. Hayes, Eoin Sheehan, Christopher H. Evans. Extended release of proteins following encapsulation in hydroxyapatite/chitosan composite scaffolds for bone tissue engineering applications. Materials Science and Engineering C. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.msec.2017.11.001. IF = 4.164
- KA. Murray, MN. Collins, RP. O'Sullivan, G. Ren, DM. Devine, A. Murphy, J. Sadło, C. O'Sullivan, B. McEvoy, O. Vrain, C. O'Neill, G. Insley. Influence of gamma and electron beam sterilization on the stability of a premixed injectable calcium phosphate cement for trauma indications. J Mech Behavior Biomed Mater. early view available online, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jmbbm.2017.09.002. IF = 3.11
- YY. Chen, A. Murphy, D. Scholz, L. Geever, J. Lyons, D. Devine. Surface modified halloysite nanotubes reinforced polylactic acid for use in biodegradable coronary stents. J Appl Pol Sci, 2018 in press. DOI: 10.1002/app.20173298 IF 1.8
- E. Fuenmayor, M. Forde, A. Healy, D. Devine, J. Lyons, C. McConville, I. Major. Material considerations for fused-filament fabrication of solid dosage forms. Pharmaceutics, 2018, 10(2), 44; doi:10.3390/pharmaceutics10020044