This user has not added any information to their profile yet.
I am a senior research fellow and a Science Foundation Ireland (SFI) funded investigator working in the Software Research Institute (SRI) at Athlone Institute of Technology (AIT). I received my PhD degree in Computer Applied Technology from the Institute of Software, Chinese Academy of Sciences (ISCAS), Beijing, China, in 2008. As a part of my PhD programme, I joined the SRI at AIT in 2005. I continued my research in the SRI as a postdoctoral researcher in 2007. I received a BSc and an MSc in Solid Mechanics from Beijing University of Aeronautics and Astronautics, Beijing, China, in 1996 and 1999 respectively. After graduation I joined ISCAS immediately where I held roles as a network administrator, research engineer and team leader in the research and development area of computer networks, multimedia communications and network security. I am a member of IEEE (Communications and Computer societies) and ACM (SIGCOMM and SIGMM).
PhD in Computer Applied Technology, Institute of Software, Chinese Academy of Sciences, China, 2008
Member of IEEE communication society, IEEE computer society, ACM SIGCOMM, ACM SIGMM
Software Defined Networking, Information Centric Networking, Programmable Internet of Things, Content Distribution, Multimedia Multisensory Systems, Peer-to-Peer Networks.
I was the PI in Enterprise Ireland funded Applied Research Enhancement (SUNAT) and Technology Gateway (COMAND) projects at Athlone Institute of Technology (AIT). My main responsibility is to work closely with companies to find practical solutions using the research results accumulated in AIT. Within the SUNAT ARE project and the COMAND TG project, a large number of industry partners have been involved through various EI funding, e.g. Innovation Partnership, Feasibility Study, and Innovation Voucher.
Filed Patent Application
1) A scalable video delivery system, European Patent Application Number: EP 11187580.3.
2) Token-based congestion control method for the Internet, United States Patent, Patent No.: US 7,957,292 B2, USA
3) Security Router, Practical new design patent, number: 02253575.6, China
1) “COMAND – Connected Media Application Design and Delivery”, Technology Gateway, Enterprise Ireland, Feb 2013 – Dec 2017, €1.2 Million. (Dr Brian Lee is the main applicant. I was a main contributor of the proposal and the PI of the project)
2) “SUANT - Seamless Use through Network Abstraction Technologies”, Advanced Research Enhancement (ARE) programme, Enterprise Ireland, Sep 2007 - Feb 2013, 1.2 Million. (Dr. Enda Fallon is the main applicant. I was the PI of the project)
3) “3D Sensing for Retail Analytics and Interactive Advertisements”, Commercial Case Feasibility Study, Enterprise Ireland, Nov 2013 – Dec 2013, €11,500. (Main applicant and PI)
4) “Cloud-Set-Top Box (cSTB)”, Innovation Partnership Feasibility Study, Enterprise Ireland, Sep 2013 – Nov 2013, €8,500. (Main applicant and PI)
5) “SVDN – Scalable Video Delivery through Network Coding based Peer-to-Peer Networks”, Commercialization Fund Proof of Concept, Enterprise Ireland, Dec 2009 – Dec 2010, €103,862. (Main applicant and PI)
Application-Aware Networking; Programmable IoT Systems; Networking Optimisation for Content Distribution Systems, Big Data Systems, IoT Systems and Distributed AI Systems.
Main Research Projects:
1) VidSDN – Application-aware Video Distribution using Software Defined Networking, SIRG Programme, Science Foundation Ireland, Jan 2015 – Dec 2018, €357k. (Main applicant and PI)
2) Distributed analytics for a large urban CCTV system, Marie Curie Career-FIT, May 2018 – Apr 2021, €259k. (Mentor)
3) H2020 - Proposal Preparation Support, Enterprise Ireland, Feb 2017 – Nov 2017, €11,600. (Main applicant and PI)
4) "TinyICN: Information Centric Networking for Programmable Internet of Things", President's Seed Fund, AIT, 04/2017-12/2018, €17,000. (Main applicant and PI)
5) "IncastICN: Information Centric Networking for Incast Traffic Delivery in Data Centre Scenarios", Postgraduate Scholarship Initiative, IOTI, 06/2015-02/2017, €24,000. (Main applicant and PI)
6) “Energy Efficient Mobile Cloud Computation Offloading for Web Centric Devices”, President’s Seed Fund, AIT, Sep 2013 – May 2015, €17,000. (Main applicant and PI)
7) “CompoundEye – Multimodal Indoor Positioning for Geospatial Video Indexing and Annotation”, President’s Seed Fund, AIT, Dec 2012 – Aug 2014, €17,000. (Main applicant and PI)
8) “MVDN – Multi-view Video Coding Distribution over Peer-to-Peer Networks”, President’s Seed Fund, AIT, Nov 2010 – Jul 2012, €17,000. (Main applicant and PI)
 Yuansong Qiao, Robert Nolan, Saul Gill, Guiming Fang, Brian Lee, "ThingNet: A Micro-Service based IoT Macro-Programming Platform over Edges and Cloud", First International Workshop on Network Intelligence (NI), Paris, 19-20 February 2018.
 Qian Wang, Brian Lee, Niall Murray, Yuansong Qiao, "MR-IoT: an information centric MapReduce framework for IoT", IEEE Consumer Communications & Networking Conference (CCNC), Las Vegas, USA, 12-15 January 2018. [Student Travel Grant]
 Yuhang Ye, Brian Lee, Ronan Flynn, Niall Murray, Yuansong Qiao, "B-ICP: Backpressure Interest Control Protocol for Multipath Communication in NDN", IEEE Globecom 2017, Singapore, 4-8 December 2017. [Student Travel Grant]
 Yuhang Ye, Brian Lee, Ronan Flynn, Niall Murray, Yuansong Qiao, "HLAF: Heterogeneous-Latency Adaptive Forwarding Strategy for Peer-Assisted Video Streaming in NDN", The 22nd IEEE Symposium on Computers and Communications, Heraklion, Crete, Greece, 03-06 July 2017. [Best Student Paper Award]
 Yuansong Qiao, Xueyuan Wang, Guiming Fang, Brian Lee, "Doopnet: An Emulator for Network Performance Analysis of Hadoop Clusters Using Docker and Mininet", The twenty first IEEE Symposium on Computers and Communications (ISCC), Messina, Italy, 27-30 June 2016.