This user has not added any information to their profile yet.
Site lead for Confirm Centre for Smart Manufacturing
Development of polymer based smart manufacturing test beds and pilot lines
Manage a large group of researchers working in diverse fields of polymer and materials research.
Develop new research programmes from concept to preparing funding applications
• PhD in Biopolymer Engineering, Athlone Institute of Technology
• BEng in Polymer Engineering, Athlone Institute of Technology
• Orthopaedic Research Society
• American Association for the Advancement of Science
• Society of Plastic Engineers
• Design of preclinical studies, including animal permissions applications, study design, study planning, costing and report writing including statistical analysis of data.
• Hydrogels and drug delivery systems for medical applications.
• Experience in using a wide range of analysis techniques such as Ftir, DSC, HPLC, GPC, rheometry, contact angle, AFM, SEM, tensile testing, impact testing, bright field and fluorescent microscopy, computed tomography.
• Polymer Processing Techniques
• Patent: Oriented Polymeric Sheets Exhibiting Dichroism and Articles containing the same
• Patent: Bone Replacement Material
• Invention Disclosure: Development of novel mimicking scaffolds for bone tissue engineering
• Invention Disclosure: Development of new lightweight and cost effective polymer composites of high density Polyethylene
• Polymer Processing
• Thermoplastic composites
• Biodegradable implants
• Bone Tissue engineering
• Bone augmentation
• Biodegradable stents
• Bioactive material development
• Biomedical nanocomposites
• Controlled release of Active pharmaceutical ingredients
• Cytocompatibility testing of novel constructs
- DM Devine, CL Higginbotham. The Synthesis of a Physically Crosslinked NVP Based hydrogel. Polymer, 44, 2003, 7851- 7860. *IF = 2.34
* 2. DM Devine, CL Higginbotham. The Synthesis and Characterization of Chemically Crosslinked N-VinylPyrrolidinone Based Hydrogels. Europ Polym J, 41 (6), 2005, 1272-1279. *IF = 1.765
* 3. DM Devine, LM Geever, CL Higginbotham. Drug Release from N-Vinyl pyrrolidinone / Acrylic Acid lubricious coatings. J Mater Sci, 40 (13), 2005, 3429-3436. *IF = 0.901
- LM Geever, DM Devine, MJD Nugent, JE Kennedy, JG Lyons, CL Higginbotham. The synthesis, characterisation, phase behaviour and swelling of temperature sensitive physically crosslinked poly(1-vinyl-2-pyrrolidinone)/poly(N-isopropylacrylamide) hydrogels. Europ Polym J, 42, (1), 2006, 69-80. *IF = 0.829
- LM Geever, DM Devine, MJD Nugent, JE Kennedy, JG Lyons, A Hanley, CL Higginbotham. Lower critical solution temperature control and swelling behaviour of physically crosslinked thermosensitive copolymers based on N-isopropylacrylamide. Europ Polym J, 42, (10), 2006, 2540-48. *IF = 0.829
- JG Lyons, DM Devine, JE Kennedy, LM Geever, P O'Sullivan, CL Higginbotham. The use of Agar as a novel filler for monolithic matrices produced using hot melt extrusion. Europ J Pharma Biopharma, 64, 2006, 75-81. *IF = 0.829
* 7. DM Devine, S Devery, LM Geever, JG Lyons, JE Kennedy, CL Higginbotham. Multifunctional polyvinylpyrrolidinone-polyacrylic acid copolymer hydrogels for biomedical applications. Internat J Pharma, 326, 2006, 50-9. *IF = 2.212
- JG Lyons, M Hallinan, JE Kennedy, DM Devine, LM Geever, P Blackie, CL Higginbotham. Preparation of monolithic matrices for oral drug delivery using a supercritical fluid assisted hot melt extrusion process. Internat J Pharma, 329, 2007, 62-71. *IF = 3.061
- LM Geever, CM Mínguez, DM Devine, MJD Nugent, JE Kennedy, JG Lyons, A Hanley, S Devery, PT Tomkins, CL Higginbotham. The synthesis, swelling behaviour and rheological properties of chemically crosslinked thermosensitive copolymers based on N-isopropylacrylamide. J Mater Sci, 42, 2007, 4136-48. *IF = 1.081
- JG Lyons, H Holehonnur, DM Devine, JE Kennedy, LM Geever, P Blackie, CL Higginbotham. The incorporation of an organically modified layered silicate in monolithic polymeric matrices produced using hot melt extrusion. Mater Chem Phys,103, 2007, 419-26. *IF = 1.871
- LM Geever, CC Cooney, DM Devine, SM Devery, MJD Nugent, CL Higginbotham. Negative temperature sensitive hydrogels in controlled drug delivery. Macromolecular Symposia, 266 (1), 2008, 53-58. *IF = 0.913
- JE Kennedy, DM Devine, JG Lyons, LM Geever, CL Higginbotham. The synthesis and characterisation of grafted random styrene butadiene for biomedical applications. J Mater Sci, 44, 2009, 889-896. *IF = 1.471
* 13. DM Devine, M Leitner, SM Perren, LP Bouré, SG Pearce. Tissue reaction to implants of different metals: a study using guide wires in cannulated screws. Eur Cells Mat. 18: 2009, 40-8. *IF = 5.378
- JA. Killion, LM. Geever, DM. Devine, JE. Kennedy, CL. Higginbotham. Mechanical properties and thermal behaviour of PEGDMA hydrogels for potential bone regeneration application. J Mech Behav Biomed Mater. 4(7), 2011, 1219-27. *IF = 2.814.
- JA. Killion, LM. Geever, DM. Devine, L. Grehan, JE. Kennedy, CL. Higginbotham. Modulating the mechanical properties of photopolymerised polyethylene glycol–polypropylene glycol hydrogels for bone regeneration. J Mat Sci. 47(18), 2012, 6577-85. IF = 2.015.
* 16. DM. Devine, J. Hahn, RG. Richards, H. Gruner, R. Wieling, SG. Pearce. Coating of carbon fiber-reinforced polyetheretherketone implants with titanium to improve bone apposition. J Biomed Mater Res B Appl Biomater. 101(4), 2013, 591-8. IF = 2.308
- E., Hoctor, J., Killion, D Devine, L., Geever, C., Higginbotham. The Preparation of Nanocomposite Scaffolds For Use In Bone Tissue Engineering. Australian J Basic Applied Sci, 7(5), 2013, 140-149
- J.A., Killion, S., Kehoe, L.M., Geever, D.M., Devine, E., Sheehan, D., Boyd, C.L., Higginbotham. Hydrogel/bioactive glass composites for bone regeneration applications: synthesis and characterisation. Mat. Sci & Eng. C, 33(7), 2013, 4203-12. IF = 2.404.
- E., Kenny, D., Devine, C., Higginbotham, L., Geever. Processing and Characterisation of Various Polymer Blends to Develop Implant for Tissue Engineering Applications. Journal of Asian Scientific Research 3(6), 2013, 654-669.
- Z. Cao, M. Peyregne, M. Daly, T. Mullen, D.M. Devine, L.M. Geever, C.L. Higginbotham. Effect of chemical treatments and HDPE-g-MA on the physical and mechanical behaviour of hdpe/natural fibre composites. Australian J Basic Applied Sci, 7(5), 2013,128-139
- J. Killion, L. Geever, D. Devine, J., Kennedy, C., Higginbotham. Development of Synthetic Alternatives For Bone Tissue Engineering. Australian J Basic Applied Sci, 7(5), 2913, 150-156
- J.A. Killion, L.M. Geever, D.M. Devine, C.L. Higginbotham. Fabrication and in vitro biological evaluation of photopolymerisable hydroxyapatite hydrogel composites for bone regeneration. J Biomat Appl, 28(8), 2014, 1274-83. IF = 2.64
- Y. Chen, L.M. Geever, C.L. Higginbotham, DM. Devine. Analysis of the Mechanical Properties of Solvent Cast Blends of PLA/PCL. Applied Mechanics Mater. 679, 2014, 50-56.
- E. Kenny, D.M. Devine, C.L. Higginbotham, L.M. Geever. Melt processed polymer blends for potential regenerative medicine applications. Applied Mechanics Mater. 679, 2014, 92-100.
- J.A. Killion, L.M. Geever, D.M. Devine, H. Farrell, C.L. Higginbotham. Compressive strength and bioactivity properties of photopolymerisable hybrid composite hydrogels for bone tissue engineering. Internat J Polym Mat Polym Biomat, 63(13), 2014, 641-50. IF = 1.865
- L., Grehan, J.A., Killion, D.M. Devine, E.K., Kenny, S., Devery, C.L., Higginbotham, L.M., Geever. The Development of Hot Melt Extruded Biocompatible Controlled Release Drug Delivery Devices. Internat J Polymeric Mat Polymeric Biomat, 63, 2014, 476-485. IF = 1.865
- C.J.D. Bergmann, J.C.E. Odekerken, T.J.M. Welting, F. Jungwirth, D. Devine, L. Bouré, S. Zeiter, L.W. Van Rhijn, R. Telle, H. Fischer, P.J. Emans. Calcium phosphate based three-dimensional cold plotted bone scaffolds for critical size bone defects. BioMed Res Intern. Vol. 2014, Article ID 852610. IF = 2.88.
- J.L. Lansdowne, D. Devine, U. Eberli, P.J. Emans, T.J.M. Welting, J.C.E. Odekerken, D. Schiuma, M. Thalhauser, L. Bouré, S. Zeiter, 2014. Characterization of an ovine bilateral critical sized bone defect iliac wing model to examine treatment modalities based on bone tissue engineering. BioMed Res Intern. Vol. 2014, Article ID 250958. IF = 2.88.
- J.A., Killion, L.M., Geever, L. Grehan, C. Waldron, K. Offaly, J. Lyons, D.M., Devine, M. Cloonan, C.L., Higginbotham, 2014. Synthesis and photopolymerisation of maleic polyvinyl alcohol based hydrogels for bone tissue engineering. J Polym Res, 21, 1-12. IF = 2.88.
* 30. D.M. Devine, D. Arens, M Thalhauser, D. Schiuma, S. Zeiter, D. Nehrbass. Healing pattern of reamed bone following bone harvesting by a RIA device. Eur Cell Mater, 29, 2015, 97-104. IF = 4.887.
- G.G. de Lima, L. Campos, A. Junqueira, D.M. Devine, M.J.D. Nugent. A novel pH-sensitive ceramic-hydrogel for biomedical applications, Polym Adv Tech. 26(12), 2015, 1439-46. IF = 1.964.
* 32. YY Chen, L.M. Geever, J.A. Killion, J.G. Lyons, C.L. Higginbotham, D.M. Devine. Halloysite nanotube reinforced polylactic acid composite. Polym Comp. Early view available on line. DOI: 10.1002/pc.23794. 2016, IF = 2.004.
* 33. M Canillas, GG de Lima, MA Rodríguez, MJD Nugent, DM Devine. Bioactive composites fabricated by freezing-thawing method for bone regeneration applications. J Polym Sci Part B: Polym Phys. 54(7), 2016, 761-773. IF = 3.83.
- EK Kenny, NM Gately, JA Killion, D.M. Devine, CL Higginbotham, LM Geever. Melt Extruded Bioresorbable Polymer Composites for Potential Regenerative Medicine Applications. Polymer-Plastics Technology and Engineering, 55(4):
, 2016, 432-446. IF 1.481.
* 35. YY Chen, LM Geever, JA Killion, JG Lyons, CL Higginbotham, DM Devine. A Review of Multifarious Applications of Poly (Lactic Acid). Polymer-Plastics Tech Eng. 55(10), 2016, 1057–1075. IF = 1.481.
- GG de Lima, RO de Souza, AD Bozzi, MA Poplawska, DM Devine, MJ Nugent. Extraction Method Plays Critical Role in Antibacterial Activity of Propolis-Loaded Hydrogels. J Pharm Sci, 105(3), 2016, 1248-57. IF = 2.641.
* 37. Z Cao, M Daly, LM Geever, I Major, CL. Higginbotham, DM Devine, 2016. Synthesis and characterization of high density polyethylene / peat ash composites. Composites Part B, 94: 312-21. IF = 3.875.
* 38. Z Cao, M Daly, L Clémence, LM Geever, I Major, CL. Higginbotham, DM Devine, 2016. Chemical Surface Modification of Calcium Carbonate Particles with stearic acid using different treating methods. Applied Surface Science, 378:320-329. IF = 3.15.
*39. GG. de Lima, F Traon, E Moal, M Canillas, MA. Rodriguez, N Dunne, DM. Devine, MJD Nugent, 2017. Composite cryogels for dual drug delivery and enhanced mechanical properties. Polymer Composites, early view available online, DOI: 10.1002/pc.24450. IF = 2.324
* 40. Declan M. Devine, Eilish Hoctor, Jessica S. Hayes, Eoin Sheehan, Christopher H. Evans. Extended release of proteins following encapsulation in hydroxyapatite/chitosan composite scaffolds for bone tissue engineering applications. Materials Science and Engineering C. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.msec.2017.11.001. IF = 4.164
- KA. Murray, MN. Collins, RP. O'Sullivan, G. Ren, DM. Devine, A. Murphy, J. Sadło, C. O'Sullivan, B. McEvoy, O. Vrain, C. O'Neill, G. Insley. Influence of gamma and electron beam sterilization on the stability of a premixed injectable calcium phosphate cement for trauma indications. J Mech Behavior Biomed Mater. early view available online, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jmbbm.2017.09.002. IF = 3.11
- YY. Chen, A. Murphy, D. Scholz, L. Geever, J. Lyons, D. Devine. Surface modified halloysite nanotubes reinforced polylactic acid for use in biodegradable coronary stents. J Appl Pol Sci, 2018 in press. DOI: 10.1002/app.20173298 IF 1.8
- E. Fuenmayor, M. Forde, A. Healy, D. Devine, J. Lyons, C. McConville, I. Major. Material considerations for fused-filament fabrication of solid dosage forms. Pharmaceutics, 2018, 10(2), 44; doi:10.3390/pharmaceutics10020044