This user has not added any information to their profile yet.
Responsibilities: Teaching entrepreneurship and engineering topics to undergraduate and graduate students at NUI Galway, and carrying out research in the area of data science and social semantics.
Postgraduate Certificate, Teaching and Learning in Higher Education National University of Ireland Galway, Ireland 2013
Doctor of Philosophy, Engineering National University of Ireland Galway, Ireland 2002
Bachelor of Engineering, Electronics, First Class Honours National University of Ireland Galway, Ireland 1994
Senior Member of the IEEE
Member of Engineers Ireland
• Data Science
• Social Semantics
• Semantic Web
• Electronic Engineering
• Sensor Applications
• Internet of Things (IoT)
• John is co-founder of boards.ie (Ireland’s largest discussion forum website; Wikipedia article), adverts.ie (classified ads website), and StreamGlider (real-time streaming newsreader app).
• He has won two IIA Net Visionary awards.
• He is co-founder of Startup Galway and the Galway City Innovation District / PorterShed.
• He serves on the boards of WestBIC and the American Council of Exercise.
• The Information Technology Association of Galway recognised John with an Outstanding Contribution Award in 2016 for working with and promoting the ICT sector in the region.
• John is the creator of the SIOC project, results of which have been implemented in over a hundred Semantic Web applications including systems from companies like Yahoo!, Boeing and Vodafone
Data science; Social semantics; Social media; Semantic Web
Electronic engineering; Sensor applications; Internet of Things
Technology innovation; Entrepreneurship
Co-PI on the €44 million Insight Research Centre grant
Co-PI on the €15 million DERI Lion II CSET grant
Project leader for DERI Lion I CSET grant from 2006 – 2008
. Subhasis Thakur and John G Breslin. “A Robust Reputation Management Mechanism in Federated Cloud”. In: IEEE Transactions on Cloud Computing (Mar. 29, 2017). issn: 21687161. . Tiago Marino, Maria Luiza Machado de Campos, Marco R S Borges, John G Breslin, and Maciej Dabrowski. “Architecture for Gathering and Integrating Collaborative Information for Decision Support in Emergency Situations”. In: The International Journal of Information and Communication Technology (Sept. 2015). . David N Crowley, Edward Curry, and John G Breslin. “Leveraging Social Media and IoT to Bootstrap Smart Environments”. In: Big Data and Internet of Things: A Roadmap for Smart Environments. Springer, Mar. 12, 2014, pp. 379–399. . John G Breslin, David O’Sullivan, Alexandre Passant, and Laurentiu Vasiliu. “Semantic Web Computing in Industry”. In: Computers in Industry 61.8 (June 22, 2010), pp. 729–741.