Applications are invited from suitably qualified candidates for a fully funded PhD position with the Unit for Reasoning, Querying and Real-time Data Analytics, Confirm Centre for Smart Manufacturing at the National University of Ireland, Galway.
We are seeking for the candidate interested in pursuing a PhD in the area of real-time data analytics, stream processing over Internet of Things (IoT) infrastructures and building enterprise Knowledge Graphs with the applied use cases of Smart Manufacturing/Industry 4.0.
The focus of research in the unit for Reasoning, Querying and Real-time Data Analytics is to apply Semantic Web and Linked Data techniques in the area of reasoning for knowledge discovery, query optimisation to improve performance of data oriented applications, real-time data analytics over large-scale IoT infrastructure, machine learning or deep learning over IoT data.
This PhD position is fully funded by the SFI Research Centre Grant and is available from as soon as possible for a period of 3 years (extendable up to 4 years). Successful candidates will receive a monthly stipend (tax free) of EUR 1500. Additionally, university annual fees will also be paid by the employer.
Requirements for the PhD Positions
– Masters degree in computer science or relevant field.
– Good communication skills in English
– Can demonstrate exceptional programming skills (industry experience is a plus)
– Meet all requirements for admission in PhD studies at NUI Galway (http://www.nuigalway.ie/media/graduatestudies/files/university_guidelines_for_research_degree_programmes.pdf)
– Knowledge of broad area of Knowledge Graphs and Internet of Things.
– Demonstration of critical thinking capabilities e.g. published research papers.
– Application of semantic Web or Linked Data techniques over time series data.
– Knowledge of any of the large-scale big data and stream processing platforms will be a good plus.
– Abilities to convert research outcomes into prototype demonstrations for a general audience.
Confirm Centre for Smart Manufacturing
Confirm Centre is a recently funded Science Foundation Ireland research centre that focuses on research in Smart Manufacturing.
The Centre benefits from the expertise across 8 core research performing organisations in Ireland and 16 international collaborations. Confirm Centre has 42 Industry partners across MNC and SME sectors including; Johnson & Johnson, Analog Devices, Action Point, Modular Automation, SL Controls, United Technologies Research Centre Ireland, KUKA, Medtronic and many others.
The selected candidate will have a good opportunity to work with academia as well as closely collaborate with industry partners.
The candidate will be based in Galway and enrolled in National University of Ireland, Galway under the structured PhD program.
Galway is located at the beautiful west coast of Ireland within the Galway Bay, ‘between’ Europe and the U.S., making it an ideal hub for national, European and international research.
Further information about the Confirm Centre is available at https://confirm.ie/
Informal enquiries concerning the post may be made to Dr. Ali Intizar at email@example.com
Applications to include a covering letter, CV, and the contact details of three referees should be sent, via e-mail (in word or PDF only) to firstname.lastname@example.org . Please include “Application-PhD-Position Confirm” in the subject line of email application.
Closing date for receipt of applications is 5.00pm (GMT) on 15th August, 2019. Only shortlisted candidates will be notified on or before 19th August, 2019. We plan to conduct Interviews of shortlisted candidates during 20th-23rd of August, 2019.
National University of Ireland, Galway is an equal opportunities employer.