TITLE OF POST: General Manager, Confirm Centre for Smart Manufacturing
LOCATION: University of Limerick
REPORTS TO: Centre Director, Confirm Centre for Smart Manufacturing
CONTRACT TYPE: Specific Purpose
SALARY SCALE: €84,728 – €112,123 p.a.
The Confirm Centre for Smart Manufacturing is a new research centre based at the University of Limerick with partner institutions Tyndall National Institute, University College Cork, Cork Institute of Technology, NUI Galway, Maynooth University, Athlone Institute of Technology and Limerick Institute of Technology. The Centre, which is funded by Science Foundation Ireland with co-funding from industry, brings together 45 industry partners and 15 international manufacturing centres of excellence to focus on the development of smart manufacturing for applications across Ireland’s leading industrial sectors. Confirm’s ambition is to become a world leader in smart manufacturing research and to enable Irish industry to fundamentally transform to a smart manufacturing ecosystem, delivering measurable and visible economic impact to Ireland. The successful candidate will work with a world-class team of academics, researchers and industry partners in a highly innovative and motivated environment.
The General Manager (GM) will play a significant leadership role in the Centre, and will be responsible for operational management and strategic engagement with key stakeholders to deliver on the Centre’s metrics, while ensuring continued support for the Centre nationally and internationally. The GM will manage the Centre Operations Team, and will be responsible for the day-to-day operational management of the Centre including business development; progress monitoring; liaison with academic and industrial partners; financial management; management of issues/risks; and compliance with reporting requirements. The role will involve substantial interaction with industry, academia, government agencies, and other national and international manufacturing centres. The GM will be responsible for the effective and efficient interface between academia and industry to ensure the Centre achieves its strategic vision and delivers on its KPIs, which include significant revenue generation from non-exchequer sources and commercialisation activities.
The GM will be an experienced professional, with a technical qualification, significant industrial experience in the manufacturing arena, experience in senior management of large-scale multi-site programmes, and knowledge of industrial academic collaborations would be an advantage. The candidate will need to have demonstrated excellent leadership in senior management roles in the manufacturing industry and be able to inspire, innovate and influence across a range of organisations, aligning multidisciplinary interests behind challenging goals. Excellent communication and writing skills must accompany profound and highly adept leadership strengths, the ability to build relationships, and influencing at the highest level in industry, academia and at governmental level is essential.
OVERALL PURPOSE OF THE JOB:
Reporting to the Centre Director, the GM will provide the overall management of the Centre operations to ensure the Centre’s KPIs are achieved. Specific responsibilities will include:
• Development of the Centre business plan to ensure Centre growth and sustainability. A key target for this role is the effective management of the relationship with existing and new industry partners (multinational and SME).
• Coordinate with the Technology Transfer Offices in the academic partner institutions on the negotiation of agreements with Industrial partners.
• Oversee all operational aspects of the Centre, including management of the Centre budget, reporting, governance, commercialisation, infrastructure access, communications, education and public engagement. Travel to partner institutions will be required to ensure oversight on a national level.
• Direct line management of the operations management team covering business development, research, funding, education & training, communications & outreach, and reporting & compliance.
• Engagement with external partners and stakeholders, including academic and research institutions, industry, government, agencies, and the general public.
• Other duties as required by the Centre Director and/or the Centre Governance Committee.
• Relevant technical background.
• Degree in a science/engineering or related subject
• Proven senior management experience (At least 5 years)
• At least 10 years’ work experience in the manufacturing sector, or equivalent.
• Proven track record of project management of complex large-scale projects, preferably with multi-site elements.
• Experience of external partner engagement.
• Experience of direct management.
• Excellent communication skills (written and oral).
• Post graduate qualification.
• Experience of managing R&D programmes.
• Knowledge of key external stakeholder organisations (e.g. Science Foundation Ireland, Industry Development Agency, Enterprise Ireland, or EU).
• Experience of working with academic researchers and their teams.
• Experience of working directly with manufacturing researchers and with the commercialisation of manufacturing-related IP.
• Experience in the development and management of entrepreneurial training programmes.
• Experience of the processes around the successful generation of new start-up companies.
Informal enquiries regarding the post may be directed to:
Prof Conor McCarthy
Confirm Centre Director
University of Limerick
Email: [email protected]
Applications should be made here: